Fethers - My Social Duplicity


I was born and raised in a lower-class family. Or if you will bother with more accuracy, top lower-class, for even among the low, some are lower. Dad did his best to give my siblings and me a fine education. So, since my school days, I have mingled with children from higher social standing. Today, I have become in the eyes of society a middle-income man due to where I work. I do not see myself as a middle-income man, because my network is still rooted in the lower rungs, and I am still within their everyday demands.

How do I live a mid-income life amidst the poverty of my network? My inner life is a constant tussle between the realities of the lower class and the expectations of the middle class. So, spending is a headache - every dime spent has to be justified, and every need must be questioned for legitimacy. Every buy is considered in the light of how many families it could feed. It is a constant barrage of what the alternative uses are.

Needs are real, expectations are real too, and I have also acquired tastes and preferences. And yes, there has been this idea of how life should be, of how my wedding should be. But getting some of the elements to happen will elicit another internal war, and even worse an external statement that will lead to a stream of choking demands.


Chinedu,
July 2021, Warri.

Picture Credit: OpenClipart-Vectors from Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Girl Tripped Me, Now I am Marrying Her

Memoirs of My Traditional Marriage

PAIN, SICKNESS AND HOPE